The Indigenous (aboriginal) cultural history of the area includes all Indigenous places and objects. The park is part of Country of the Wurundjeri people of the Woiwurrung language speaking group.
Permanent settlement of the Dandenong Ranges by Europeans began in the early 1850s when the first farm began. Trees were cut down for timber and a mill was built at Ferntree Gully in 1854. Before this it was actually cheaper and easier to have trees shipped over from Tasmania because there were no roads in the Dandenongs to make easy access in and out of the forests.
In 1882 a small area of forest at Ferntree Gully was chosen and protected as a place for public recreation. People travelled from far and wide to enjoy the beauty of the fern gullies and tall forests. In 1927 this was made bigger and became Ferntree Gully National Park. Over time other bits of the Dandenongs were added and by 1987 areas including Sherbrooke Forest and Olinda Forest were added to create the Dandenong Ranges National Park. People continue to visit the area today to enjoy it's beauty.
Below are links to information on the history of the Dandenong Ranges National Park.